Foundations of Faith is a new program at GraceWay Church that we will walk through together over the course of 2022. It is based on The New City Catechism, which is a modern-day resource aimed at helping children and adults alike learn the core doctrines of the Christian faith.
What is The New City Catechism?
It is a series of 52 questions and answers that explores what we believe as Christians. Each week we’ll look at a different Q&A that covers the following topics:
- Part 1: God, creation and fall, law (twenty questions)
- Part 2: Christ, redemption, grace (fifteen questions)
- Part 3: Spirit, restoration, growing in grace (seventeen questions)
A Bible verse accompanies each question and answer. In addition, each question and answer is followed by a short commentary taken from the writings or sayings of a past preacher as well as a commentary from a contemporary preacher to help us meditate on and think about the topic being explored. Each question ends with a short, original prayer. It is designed to go through together with others – parents & children, spouses, friends or in a small group.
How Can I Participate?
- Purchase the Book: there are different versions of The New City Catechism available to purchase – for individual or group study, as well as for kids. Books will be available to purchase at the Happenings table. There is a suggested donation of $15 for the adult devotional and $2 for children’s book.
- Mobile App: a free mobile app is available and includes the Q&A, devotional and kid-friendly songs to help with memorization. Download mobile app here.
- Machowski , Marty. The Ology. New Growth Press, 2015. “This beautifully illustrated storybook ushers children into a story of adventure, mystery, and wonder in which they discover life-changing truths about God, themselves, and the world around them.”
- Packer, J.I. Concise Theology: A Guide to Historic Christian Beliefs. Tyndale, 1993. This book explains the essentials of theology in 94 concise studies. The New City Catechism references these chapters for further reading on their website. Excellent resource for the busy person.
- Grudem, Wayne. Bible Doctrine: Essential Teachings of the Christian Faith. Zondervan, 1999. If you would like a little more depth to your study, this resource is an abridged version of Systematic Theology. It is very accessible and great for the average reader.
- Grudem, Wayne. Systematic Theology. Zondervan, 1994. A highly recommended resource for those that have more time and would like to dig deeper into Bible doctrine.