Welcome to the first week in our study of Isaiah. If you haven’t read the quick reference entitled “Getting Started in Personal Bible Study”, I suggest that you begin there. This week we are going to dip our toes in the pond before taking the plunge! Getting an overview of Isaiah will be helpful in understanding the book. It is important to understand the historical and cultural context so that you can properly interpret and apply what the Lord is saying to us through Isaiah. The following are some study suggestions for this week:
- Read Isaiah 1:1 and the overview and outline of Isaiah in your study Bible. If you don’t have a study Bible, you can find an overview online. The following are some suggestions:
Note: If you are a visual learner, these 2 short videos produced by The Bible Project are excellent!
- The Bible Project (Isaiah 1-39 video)
- The Bible Project (Isaiah 40-66 video)
- Thought questions. (Feel free to journal your thoughts, or simply meditate on them.):
- What do you know about Isaiah at the beginning of our study?
- How do you picture God at this point in our study?
- How would you describe God to a friend?
- What one knew thing has God taught you this week?
GOING DEEPER (optional): For further teaching and application, do one or more of the following:
- Read chapter 1, “Introduction to Isaiah” in Isaiah: God Saves Sinners by Raymond Ortlund or listen to Ray Ortlund’s sermon series on line. (Most of the sermons correspond to the chapters in his book.)
- Listen to the sermon(s) from Pastor Liam Goligher’s sermon series on Isaiah that go along with this week’s reading.
Share what the Lord is teaching you with someone else! Feel free to use the discussion board to post questions or thoughts and interact with others. Reminder! This is your time in the Word. Do what time permits in your season of life. That might look different from week to week. God’s Word NEVER comes back void!
NOTE: After this Introduction week, every lesson will fit on one piece of paper and will be divided into three sections:
For those who may not have much time for study, but would like to simply read and meditate on the verses in Isaiah for the week
For those who have more time for personal Bible study
Suggestions for anyone who would like to receive some teaching and application on Isaiah